Saturday, September 22, 2007

A choice between haven and hell

I was recently a part of an anti-poverty panel at the University of Windsor. OPIRG was hosting it and had asked me to speak because of my experience with international development issues. I happily agreed and spend about 30-40 minutes in front of nine people (the biggest crowd all week) answering questions about fair trade, what the government needs to do, and comparing poverty in Canada to poverty in developing countries.

The woman sitting next to me spoke about her work in Chile but also about her experience as a homeless youth in Canada. I was struck. At the end of the presentation I asked her, "how did you become homeless?" Her reply was, "just like everyone else."

"Absolute homelessness refers to people living on the streets with no physical shelter, while relative homelessness refers to those who live in spaces that do not meet basic health and safety standards. The broad definition of homelessness includes those who live in sub-standard housing, or in overcrowded or undesirable conditions. For instance, a woman may live with an abusive man as the lesser of two evils, thereby avoiding being on the streets." (Taken from Share International)

Anyone can become homeless. An article in Maclean's stated that one in three homeless teens still attend high school. If these youth are not getting an education then breaking the cycle of homelessness will become increasingly difficult.

Immigrants, single parent families, ex-mental patients, and Natives are most likely to be thought of as homeless. However, more often women and children are found on the street as well. People are more susceptible to this than we think.

One thing that shocked me when I first went to Toronto was the sheer number of homeless people I saw. Living in Windsor it wasn't something I had really experienced. The summer I lived in Toronto one thing that always got to me was when I would see "the regular" homeless people on my nightly walks home from work.

What are some of the problems that cause homelessness?
A lack of schooling, illiteracy, job loss, job closures, family break ups, addictions, tax cuts, and a lack of long-term solutions from the government.

What are some things that don't help solve homelessness?
Inadequate low income housing, shelters turning away people because they don't have the capacity to maintain it, and having to pay first and last month's rent when it may have taken long enough to get that first month.

While homelessness seems to be more of an issue of hopelessness we must remember that there are actions, big and small, that need to be done.

One of the things that struck me most about the aforementioned panel was that I was explaining my reasons for helping out with poverty issues overseas instead of issues in Canada. But one person or organisation can't focus on everything and my passion and dedication lies with those who have fewer opportunities. I don't want to say that to be elitist or superior. I say this because I have compassion for my fellow people, not just my fellow Canadians.

I hope in reading this blog you'll find something that strikes a chord inside so that if you don't become a person of action you will at least become a more knowledgeable person.

Action Items
- volunteer at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen
- volunteer your time with an organisation like Habitat for Humanity
- support legislation/by-laws/laws that will protect homeless people, increase affordable housing, and promote long-term solutions
- vote

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday you will have been all of these."
George Washington Carver

No comments: