Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Latest Celebrity Trend

Increasingly in the media you hear about the new celebrity interest: Africa.

Angelina Jolie gives birth to a baby in Namibia and Madonna adopts a baby from Malawi and the rest of the world is left wondering where these previously unheard of countries are located.

Bono is undoubtedly one off the biggest anti-poverty activist with his campaign ONE.

"ONE is Americans of all beliefs and every walk of life - united as ONE - to help make poverty history... As ONE, we are raising public awareness about the issues of global poverty, hunger, disease and efforts to fight such problems in the world's poorest countries. As ONE, we are asking our leaders to do more to fight the emergency of global AIDS and extreme poverty. ONE believes that allocating more of the U.S. budget toward providing basic needs like health, education, clean water and food would transform the futures and hopes of an entire generation in the world's poorest countries."

A way to show your support for ONE is by wearing a WhiteBand

"Wear the white band and show your support for the ONE Campaign and the fight against global AIDS and poverty. Worn by teachers, doctors, and homemakers. You've seen them in the pages of People and US Weekly on your favorite stars, get your band now! The white bands are part of a global effort to make poverty history."

I find it interesting that they mention that we've "seen them in the pages of People and US weekly on your favorite stars." They are using celebrities as the means to persuade. Are we asking the government to contribute more to pro-poor actions or are we doing it
because Penelope is too?



Celebrities are used to endorse countless products. Hair products, make-up, clothing, shoes, and food are constantly being thrown at us so that we may better emulate a celebrity. Is poverty in Africa another fad that's being marketed to the celeb hungry public, or are these people really hoping for a change?

I think it's unfortunate that we need celebrities to bring light to the issue.

Yet, at the same time I'm torn. If celebrities are bringing light to the issue is it really such a bad thing? Awareness is awareness. In spite of this thought a quote from Marchall McLuhen resounds in my head, "the medium is the message." It really isn't poverty and activism that's resounding in consumers' heads; what's resounding is Joe Celebrity is doing this and so should I because I want to feel connected to Joe Celebrity.

I wear a white band. Mine is not from the ONE campaign, but rather from the Canadian version: Make Poverty History. Why do I wear the white band?

Is it because I think MPH has been a particularly effective organisation? No, not really. Is it because one of my favourite bands, the Joel Plaskett Emergency, supports the campaign? No.

So why does a piece of white rubber circle my wrist all day?

I wear the band to remind myself why I do what I do. I see it as a motivation to my actions. Why do I volunteer for ~20 hours a week for Engineers Without Borders? Because my actions can make a difference.
Why do I try to get 100+ signatures for a petition? Because my 100+ signatures and the 100+ signatures of 5 of my friends will show a local Member of Parliament that we want something to be done about eliminating poverty.

Why do I wear the white band? Because I know that I am not alone in trying to make a difference. Whether they wear a white band or not, it is a reminder of the solidarity I have with other people who are making positive change and providing opportunities to right the wrongs of poverty and other social injustices.

If you're going to do something make sure it's because you believe in it. Not because someone (famous or not) told you to act, but because you truly want to. I feel like I'm becoming too preachy but think about where your motivations come from. If you really want to help a little girl go to school, learn to read, and gain access to clean water do it because you think that she, as a human being, should not be denied these rights. Don't jump on the celebrity bandwagon.

No comments: