Friday, November 2, 2007

My response to a rant

I was actually in the progress of writing another blog but, honestly, it was pretty dry and boring. I wanted to write about debt relief of Highly Indebted Poor Countries but I just couldn't find anything cool or personal about. (Really though, I think that the World Bank and International Monetary Fund canceling billions of dollars is pretty cool but I'm not sure who else will. Maybe I'll try it later.)

I was Google-ing articles to make my original post more interesting when I found this article. In a nutshell here it is:
A student from Texas A& M is writing about why students should contribute to poverty relief programs. A student there, Ashley, is sponsoring a child, Cristian, from Piedra de Bolivar in Colombia. Ashley sends Cristian 32 dollars a month that will "help pull Cristian out of poverty. Along with sending him letters and praying, that much money will get him a sound education, personalized medical attention and nutritious food." He notes that Ashley has had to cut down on her expenses, "It's not always easy to scrounge up the money I need. I don't always get to buy that cup of coffee when I want," she told me...I just can't sit by and do nothing." The author later goes on about how it makes him sick and many people will ignore his article because "Coffee is just too damn tasty."

Here's what I don't like about this article...

The author is trying to make you feel bad. He is guilting you into doing something. Yeah, I get that your mad. I get mad too. I get upset and frustrated and feel so small and insignificant sometimes...but when you're writing in a medium that can influence dozens, maybe hundreds of people- don't be so bitter.

Offer hope. Give it a positive spin. Write about how Ashley is making a change and you can too. Give people options. Tell them to put their loose change in a jar on their fridge and to donate it. Don't make the people you want to change feel like idiots.

Okay, so Ashley is doing something- but money isn't the only way to make a difference. Make good purchases! Next time you buy that coffee make it a fair trade coffee. It's something small but it does have an overall effect. Better yet, next time you buy chocolate or sugar make that fair trade too.

Also, donate your time. It's just as valuable, maybe more so. Spend some time educating others, learning the facts, handing out information so that people can know what's going on. Write to your government. Yes, money makes the world go 'round but we are not consumers, we are human beings.

Another thing I don't like about this article is that it is throwing money at the problem. How much are Ashley's actions making a difference in the overall cause? Yes, she is helping someone. However, couldn't her money be more effective? What if she contributed to a medical fund? Or a school fund? Or a sustainable technology fund? Why can't she contribute to something that will effect the lives of many? I guess what I'm trying to say is I want a more long term solution that will get to the root causes of the issues. Why doesn't Cristian have money? Look at that and invest in that. Sure, it will take longer to do research and pick the right organisation. But she'll be getting more out of her money and better long-term results. We should strive for something sustainable.

I can't help but wonder what the author will do beyond writing this article? Will he sponsor a child or just chide his readers?

I don't think his goal is wrong, I just think there are more effective ways that he could go about it. I guess in ranting myself I am making myself no better than the author of the article I am critiquing but I believe my medium is more appropriate.

Lack of money is no obstacle. Lack of an idea is an obstacle.
Ken Hakuta

No comments: