Thursday, May 15, 2008

The most exciting news I've heard in ages

BILL C293 IS NOW LAW!!!

What is BillC293?

It's a bill that will ensure all of Canada's 0.3% GNI aid is attributed to programs that will alleviate poverty. Previously much of the funds went to Afghanistan and war-related issues.

This is amazing.

Why I'm especially excited:

EWB Canada sent 10 000 signatures to Parliament for supporting this bill.
2 000 of them came from the University of Windsor.

A quote from John McKay, Lib MP from Scarborough:

"Who can forget the Engineers without Borders who phoned me, literally out of the blue, and encouraged me and invited me to their conference and got behind this bill. It is so encouraging to see young, bright, vibrant, energetic people, our nation's future, get behind a bill such as this and give it their enthusiastic push."

This is a good start to my day. Now all we need is to honour our commitment to the United Nations Millennium Development Goals and contribute 0.7% of our GNI...

"You don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!" Anne Frank

No comments: